Mechanism Design and Analysis Using PTC Creo Mechanism 3.0
- A project-based approach teaches new users how to preform analysis using Creo Mechanism
- Covers model creation, analysis type selection, kinematics and dynamics, and results visualization
- Incorporates theoretical discussions of kinematic and dynamic analysis with simulation results
- Covers the most frequently used commands and concepts of mechanism design and analysis
Mechanism Design and Analysis Using PTC Creo Mechanism 3.0 is designed to help you become familiar with Mechanism, a module of the PTC Creo Parametric software family, which supports modeling and analysis (or simulation) of mechanisms in a virtual (computer) environment. Capabilities in Mechanism allow users to simulate and visualize mechanism performance.
Capabilities in Mechanism allow users to simulate and visualize mechanism performance. Using Mechanism early in the product development stage could prevent costly redesign due to design defects found in the physical testing phase; therefore, contributing to a more cost effective, reliable, and efficient product development process.
The book is written following a project-based learning approach and covers the major concepts and frequently used commands required to advance readers from a novice to an intermediate level. Basic concepts discussed include: model creation, such as body and joint definitions; analysis type selection, such as static (assembly) analysis, kinematics and dynamics; and results visualization. The concepts are introduced using simple, yet realistic, examples.
Verifying the results obtained from computer simulation is extremely important. One of the unique features of this textbook is the incorporation of theoretical discussions for kinematic and dynamic analyses in conjunction with simulation results obtained using Mechanism. The theoretical discussions simply support the verification of simulation results rather than providing an in-depth discussion on the subjects of kinematics and dynamics.
Table of Contents
- Introduction to Mechanism Design
- The Ball Throwing Example
- A Spring Mass System
- A Simple Pendulum
- A Slider-Crank Mechanism - Static and Motion Analysis
- A Compound Spur Gear Train
- Planetary Gear Train Systems
- Cam and Follower
- Assistive Device for Wheelchair Soccer Game
- Kinematic Analysis for Racecar Suspension
Appendix A: Defining Joints
Appendix B: Defining Measures
Appendix C: The Default Unit System
Appendix D: The Magnitude Settings
Creo Schools Edition Software
Each book will include a license card that allows students to download their own copy of Creo 3.0 and is included at no additional cost. This access card is only available when the books are purchased by a school bookstore.
Please Note: Used copies of this book will not include this software.
- Exercise Files
- Download File58.5 MB
- Exercise Files for Commercial Users
- Download File60.3 MB
- Solution Spreadsheets
- Download File164 KB
For additional information on downloading, unzipping, and using these files visit the downloads section on our FAQ page.