Engineering Graphics with SOLIDWORKS 2016 and Video Instruction
A Step-by-Step Project Based Approach
- Covers engineering graphics and SOLIDWORKS 2016 in a step-by-step manner
- Comes with training videos demonstrating all the basic tools needed to start using SOLIDWORKS
- Designed for beginning or intermediate SOLIDWORKS users
- Contains a bonus chapter on the Certified SOLIDWORKS Associate CSWA program
- Features a new chapter on 3D printing and a new chapter introducing the user interface
Engineering Graphics with SOLIDWORKS 2016 and video instruction is written to assist the technical school, two year college, four year university instructor/student or industry professional that is a beginner or intermediate SOLIDWORKS user. The book combines the fundamentals of engineering graphics and dimensioning practices with a step-by-step project based approach to learning SOLIDWORKS with video instructions. Learn by doing, not just by reading.
The book is divided into four sections: Chapters 1 - 3 explore the history of engineering graphics, manual sketching techniques, orthographic projection, Third vs. First angle projection, multi-view drawings, dimensioning practices (ASME Y14.5-2009 standard), line type, fit type, tolerance, fasteners in general, general thread notes and the history of CAD leading to the development of SOLIDWORKS.
Chapters 4 - 9 explore the SOLIDWORKS User Interface and CommandManager, Document and System properties, simple machine parts, simple and complex assemblies, proper design intent, design tables, configurations, multi-sheet, multi-view drawings, BOMs, and Revision tables using basic and advanced features.
Follow the step-by-step instructions in over 80 activities to develop eight parts, four sub-assemblies, three drawings and six document templates.
Chapter 10 provides a section on the Certified Associate - Mechanical Design (CSWA) program with sample exam questions and initial and final SOLIDWORKS models.
Chapter 11 provides a section on Additive Manufacturing (3D printing) and its benefits and features. Understand the terms and technology used in low cost 3D printers.
Review individual features, commands, and tools using the video instruction and SOLIDWORKS Help. The chapter exercises analyze and examine usage competencies based on the chapter objectives. The book is designed to complement the SOLIDWORKS Tutorials located in the SOLIDWORKS Help menu.
Desired outcomes and usage competencies are listed for each project. Know your objectives up front. Follow the step-by step procedures to achieve your design goals. Work between multiple documents, features, commands, and properties that represent how engineers and designers utilize SOLIDWORKS in industry. The author developed the industry scenarios by combining his own industry experience with the knowledge of engineers, department managers, vendors, and manufacturers.
These professionals are directly involved with SOLIDWORKS every day. Their responsibilities go far beyond the creation of just a 3D model.
New to this edition
There are many new additions and enhancements to this edition. All of the screen shots have been updated to show the new SOLIDWORKS icons. SOLIDWORKS new ‘breadcrumbs’ feature has been incorporated into text along with the Visualizations tool for references. Enhancements to the Patterns, Surfaces, Swept and threads have also been integrated into the tutorials.
View the provided videos in the book to enhance the user experience. The videos cover the following topics:
- Start a SOLIDWORKS 2016 session
- Understand the SOLIDWORKS 2016 Interface
- Create 2D Sketching, Sketch Planes and use Sketch tools
- Create 3D Features and apply Design Intent
- Create an Assembly
- Create fundamental Drawings Part 1 & Part 2
Table of Contents
- History of Engineering Graphics
- Isometric Projection and Multi View Drawings
- Dimensioning Practices, Scales, Tolerancing and Fasteners
- Overview of SolidWorks and the User Interface
- Introduction to SOLIDWORKS Part Modeling
- Revolved Boss/Base Features
- Swept, Lofted, Rib, Mirror and Additional Features
- Assembly Modeling - Bottom up method
- Fundamentals of Drawing
- Introduction to the Certified Associate - Mechanical Design (CSWA) Exam
- Additive Manufacturing - 3D Printing
- Exercise Files
- Download File89.6 MB
These files are only available to customers who have registered their book with the unique access code that comes with the book and authenticated instructors. Ebook owners can send us a proof of purchase to gain access to these files.
- What's new in SOLIDWORKS 2016
- Video Tutorials
- PowerPoint Presentations
For additional information on downloading, unzipping, and using these files visit the downloads section on our FAQ page.